Mexican Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Mexican flavors for a bold wake up
I love Mexican food and anything spicy so this is one of my favorites! You can pretty much toss in whatever beans/grains/veggies you have left in the fridge and it will taste just as good. If you are Vegan, skip the egg and add extra beans to make up for the lost protein.
This breakfast is packed with protein to kick start your day and provide your body with the energy it needs to function. Quinoa contains all the essential amino acids the body needs and is a protein powerhouse. Add to that kidney beans and an egg, and you have a protein packed meal without meat.
Quinoa is also a great choice for those with gluten intolerance, as it is gluten-free and contains more fiber than most other grains.
Don't Forget to Rinse
Raw quinoa grains contain saponin, a safe-to-eat compound that acts as a natural pest repellent. Saponin also tastes extremely bitter. Be sure to rinse your raw quinoa very well before cooking to remove the saponin, this is especially important if you are pregnant. You can also buy pre-rinsed quinoa, but I rinse no matter what. If you have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes or are a diabetic, it is also a good choice as it can reduce blood sugar levels with its high protein and fiber content.
Serves 1. Cook Time: 10 minutes. I'm using organic ingredients wherever possible. I also like to meal prep quinoa and have it on hand in the fridge for my weekly meals. If you don't have quinoa already cooked, allow an extra 20 minutes of cook time.
- 1 cup Sprouted Quinoa, cooked
- 2 Crimini Mushrooms, sliced into wedges
- 1/2 cup Frozen Fire Roasted Sweet Potato
- 1/2 cup Red Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed, no salt added
- 1/4 cup Frozen Corn
- 2 tbsp Salsa
- 1 Egg, hard boiled and sliced (optional)
- 1/2 Avocado, diced
- 1 tsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Taco Seasoning, no salt added
- Fresh Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Avocado Oil
- In a small non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp Avocado Oil. Add mushrooms and sweet potato to hot pan, stir.
- Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently or until mushrooms begin to brown and sweet potatoes soften.
- Add corn, cook 1 more minute.
- Add beans, then quinoa on top. Don't stir. Let the heat steam the quinoa for about 1 minute. Meanwhile, add taco seasoning and cilantro.
- Stir to combine and continue stirring until everything is hot, about 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- Top with salsa, avocado and egg. Finish with fresh ground black pepper to taste.